Thursday, April 7, 2011

This moves to the top.

You don't know me, nor do I know you, but I am a friend of a friend that told me about your beautiful wife Erin and the tragic accident that you both are going through. My husband was hit by a freight train 13 1/2 yrs ago and suffered a TBI (traumatic brain injury) to the right frontal and right parietal lobes. He also suffered a broken neck and many other injuries as you could imagine. He laid comatose for 63 days in ICU with Drs telling me he would never wake up, and if he did he would be a quadriplegic and a vegetable. I prayed so much that I'm not sure I left room for anyone else's prayers to reach God. But to everyone's amazement my husband woke up and is back to his old self again. As you mentioned about Erin, Daniel's age was on his side and after Five long years of rehabilitation and determination he started walking working driving...you name it he does it. The only thing that he sometimes has problems with is his long term memory, but after a moment of really thinking it comes back to him! I am a registered nurse and had trouble understanding all that he went through, so I can only imagine what you're going through. Let me tell you this...a brain injury is like a jigsaw puzzle. The puzzle gets tossed up in the air and comes down in 500 little pieces, and then that person has to put all the pieces back together again. I will keep Erin and you in my prayers and pray that my words have given you some kind of hope! Take care and God bless!


Anonymous

6 comments:

  1. I also have been following Erin's progress and while it may be a long journey, she will make it and thrive! My nephew was in a horrible car accident when he was about 14 years old and was in a coma for over 3 weeks. He also had a traumatic brain injury. Not only did he make it back to his school late that year, he graduated, went to college and has just received his Master of Social Work.

    While it is scary and hard to be patient, have faith that good things will occur. Her progress may seen too slow for our liking, but she is healing. We are all praying for Erin and her family and with this many prayers, there is no limit. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a family member with TBI. It is amazing what God will do in the recovery of the patient. Prayer does work and keep Chapelle's motto of "God will Provide" in your thoughts always, because He truly does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These stories pull at the heart strings and put God's amazing love and grace into perspective. I have had the pleasure of meeting Erin only one time, and that is all it takes...Erin leaves an impression upon people that is rarely forgotten...she is sweet, funny, intelligent, sincere and caring...all wrapped up in a beautiful package...and Dustyn, you and Erin make the perfect couple! We still think of you and Erin everyday and will continue to pray HARD for ya'll. One of my favs:
    "Trust in the LORD with your heart and lean not on your own understanding" ~Proverbs 3:5

    Stay strong, get stronger, Erinsaurus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deus Providebit. I have your blog bookmarked now. Everytime I flip through my bookmarks on my screen Erin's smiling face is looking at me and I always say a quick little prayer for her on the way to my nola.com or fb bookmarks. I read the entries each night and say special prayers for Erin, you Dustyn, and your family. I only knew of Erin at Chapelle but remember her as funny vibrant and smiling. I will probably never cross paths with you guys but wanted you to know that I am praying to the Holy Family and OLPS on Reins behalf. And I've been praying that God sends an army of 1000+ angels to Erin each night to attend to her every need for full recovery. May God bless and keep watch over Erin and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miracles happen every day and if anyone deserves it, it is definitely Erin. She has so many loved ones praying for her and thinking of her everyday. We know y'all can get through this. There are so many amazing recovery stories out there and one day, I hope Erin's will be one to tell too. Sending much love and strength your way.

    best,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. extremely inspiring...

    ReplyDelete