Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thursday 4/7 Update

Erin is still comatose. She responds to pain, but not to commands yet. As most of you know she has responded to a few commands in the past such as thumbs up or opening of the eyes. Her pupils are still unresponsive which is not a good sign overall (they have been this way since she got here). The longer someone is in a coma, the greater the likelihood of residual symptoms, particularly physical disabilities. The doctors are optimistic that she will be able to come out of the coma eventually but the severity of any impairments will be a mystery for probably months. Erin's youth is a distinct advantage as well as her pre-injury intelligence level and personality, as these have been identified as possible indicators for levels of recovery. Her vitals are all stable and she continues to breathe on her own. The doctors are talking about an EEG later today which measures brain wave activity. Apparently there is an EEG severity index used on patients with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). I will update the blog with any information as it becomes available to me. Just to verify, I am not a doctor or a medical professional. I am just a concerned husband with a silly internet connection, and a lot of questions.



7 comments:

  1. We are continuing to pray for Erin and for you. I can't imagine how hard this is for you. Hoping for positive test results, patience, hope, and support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While this kind of stuff tries your patience unimaginably, what sticks out to me are those mentioned advantages. Hang in there and know that while time may seem to stand still right now, the pace of her healing is allowing for the power of those praying and routing for her to grow stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dustyn, God bless you and your silly internet connection! It is comforting for those of us so far away to hear updates from you. I am thinking of you all every hour and my prayers are for Erin and you and all of the families. I was searching for something on FB yesterday and saw so many people who had changed their profile pictures to one of Erin. She has lots of love and support coming her way. Love to you all, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep the faith Dustyn. She just isn't ready yet. Catching up on her beauty rest. Focus on all those positive signs and signals. Constantly praying.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dustyn, you and Erin have a great support team. We are all here for both of you. You are a true loving husband. Erin is a lucky lady to have you. Just as you are lucky to have her. You two are a true happy married couple. I give you my word we will continue to pray for your family. The kids at St. George's are still making cards and praying for Mrs Grennon. Hang in there. All our love and support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't know me, nor do I know you, but I am a friend of a friend that told me about your beautiful wife Erin and the tragic accident that you both are going through. My husband was hit by a freight train 13 1/2 yrs ago and suffered a TBI (traumatic brain injury) to the right frontal and right parietal lobes. He also suffered a broken neck and many other injuries as you could imagine. He laid comatose for 63 days in ICU with Drs telling me he would never wake up, and if he did he would be a quadriplegic and a vegetable. I prayed so much that I'm not sure I left room for anyone else's prayers to reach God. But to everyone's amazement my husband woke up and is back to his old self again. As you mentioned about Erin, Daniel's age was on his side and after Five long years of rehabilitation and determination he started walking working driving...you name it he does it. The only thing that he sometimes has problems with is his long term memory, but after a moment of really thinking it comes back to him! I am a registered nurse and had trouble understanding all that he went through, so I can only imagine what you're going through. Let me tell you this...a brain injury is like a jigsaw puzzle. The puzzle gets tossed up in the air and comes down in 500 little pieces, and then that person has to put all the pieces back together again. I will keep Erin and you in my prayers and pray that my words have given you some kind of hope! Take care and God bless!

    ReplyDelete